18 Surprising Ways to Use Therapeutic Essential Oils
TOPICAL (On the skin surface)
1. NEAT: Apply neat (undiluted) as directed to affected area.
2. DILUTE 50-50: 1 part essential oil (s) to 1 part V6 Oil Complex. (V6 is a blend of 6 vegetable oils available from Young Living.)
3. DILUTE 20-80: 1 part essential oil(s) to 4 parts V6 Oil Complex.
4. VITA FLEX (Acupressure): Apply 1-3 drops neat to the Vita Flex points on the feet as directed. Licensed Acupuncturists can use essential oils on needles before inserting them.
5. COMPRESS: Dilute 1 part essential oil(s) with 4 parts V6 Oil Complex and apply 8-10 drops on affected area. Cover with a HOT, moist hand towel. Then cover the moist towel with a dry towel for 10-15 minutes. Can also use a cool, moist hand towel instead of a hot one, to create a COLD compress.
6. BATH SALT: Mix thoroughly 10-15 drops of essential oil into 2 tablespoons of Epsom salts or baking soda. Dissolve in warm bathwater as tub is filling and soak for at least 20 minutes before using soap or shampoo.
7. BODY MASSAGE: Apply diluted in a 20:80 ratio (1 part essential oils to 4 parts V6 Oil Complex) in a full-body massage.
9. RECTAL: Dilute the recommended essential oil(s) in 40:60 ratio (4 parts essential oil to 6 parts V6 Oil Complex), insert 1-2 tablespoons in rectum with a bulb syringe and retain up to 8 hours or overnight.
Caution: The outer skin surrounding the anus is usually more sensitive to the oil mixture than internal tissues. Be very careful when inserting the oils, to keep them from touching the outside skin. One way to do this is to insert the oils using 2-4 gelatin capsules lubricated with olive oil or V6 Oil Complex.
10. TAMPON: Dilute the recommended essential oil(s) in 40:60 ratio (4 parts essential oil to 6 parts V6 Oil Complex). Apply 1-2 table-spoons to a tampon and insert into vagina (for internal infection) OR apply to a sanitary pad (for external lesions). Retain up to 8 hours or overnight. Use only tampons or sanitary pads made with non-perfumed, non-scented organic cotton.
11. GARGLE: Add 2-3 drops essential oil with 4 tablespoons purified water, shake or mix vigorously. Gargle for 30 seconds.
12. TONGUE: Apply 1 drop of essential oil neat to the back of the tongue with cotton swab or fingertip. Retain, allowing oil to combine with saliva, for at least 1 minute, then swallow.
13. DIFFUSION: Diffuse neat in a cold-air diffuser (cold air diffusers are not designed to handle vegetable oils because they are thicker and may clog the diffuser mechanism).
14. DIRECT: Apply 2-3 drops of essential oil(s) to the palm of one hand; rub palms together; cup hands over nose and mouth (being careful not to touch the skin near your eyes) and inhale vapors deeply 6-8 times.
15. VAPOR: Run hot, steaming water into a sink or large bowl. Water should be at least 2 inches deep to retain heat for a few minutes. Drape a towel over your head, covering the hot water also, enclosing your face over the steaming water. Add 3-6 drops of essential oils(s) into the hot water. Inhale vapors as deeply as possible several times, through the nose, as they rise with the steam. Recharge vapors with additional hot water.
16. CAPSULE: Unless directed otherwise, use a clean medicine dropper to fill the larger half of an empty gelatin capsule (available from Young Living) half-way with essential oil(s); then fill the remainder with V6 Advanced Oil Complex or a high quality cold-pressed vegetable oil, seal with the other half of the gel cap and take as directed.
There are two basic dosages used for capsules, indicated by capsule size. ’00’ size capsules (which contain a 400 mg dose when filled with a 50-50 dilution of essential oil) and ‘0’ size capsules (which contain a 200 mg dose when filled with a 50-50 dilution of essential oil). If ‘0’ size capsules are not readily available, you can half fill ’00’ size capsules.
17. RICE MILK: Add the essential oil to rice milk and take as directed. Use 3-5 drops in 1/2 cup of rice milk. Goat milk may be substituted for rice milk.
18. SYRUP: Add the essential oil to raw Agave nectar or Grade B Maple Syrup. Use 3 drops in 1 tsp. maple syrup. Hold in mouth for 30 seconds before swallowing. Agave nectar (a low-glycemic natural sweetener derived from the Agave plant) seems to work more effectively than maple syrup.
Disclaimer: This information is provided for learning purposes only and not intended as medical advice. Please take the necessary precautions before diagnosing or treating any condition.